Thursday, May 3, 2012

About my cooking

What do I know about cooking?    Not much! But I know what I like ...

Broiled Ribeye

I never really was taught how to cook. For most of my childhood I lived with my Grandmother and while she never really tried to teach me, I learned most of what I know about cooking by watching her cook.

Later on I had a strong interest in watching cooking shows on TV. I remember watching Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) on TV back in 1969. These days I enjoy many of the cooking channels on You Tube. I also enjoy current TV shows such as Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" ... "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern and Adam Richman's "Man v. Food" ... Other shows I enjoy include popular PBS series "Mexico: One Plate at a Time" with Rick Bayless  and Steven Raichlen's shows "Barbecue University" and  "Primal Grill" ...

Yes, it has been a closely guarded secret ... but now you know ... I'm a Food Show Junkie ...

When I cook, like my Grandmother, I dont really follow a recipe. Instead I cook by "what looks right" ... so if I share a recipe here ... please remember that all amounts are negotiable ... add any ingredient only in an amount that looks right to you ... and suits your own taste or preference ...

My Grandmother used to make the best Spaghetti in the whole world! She has been gone for quite some time now and unfortunately there is no written recipe. However, my little brother claims to be able to cook something that closely resembles Grandmothers Spaghetti, so I may get some hints from him and try to produce my own version of Grandmothers Spaghetti. If I am successful I'll share that recipe here ...

My love of Chili comes from my Grandfather. He used to make up a pot of Chili and bake some Cornbread in a Cast Iron Skillet. That is one of my greatest childhood memories ... Again there is no written recipe and I've never been able to make Chili exactly like my Grandfather, but I sure do enjoy trying!

And I think thats what its all about ... enjoying good cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment